A Minnesotan in Texas

I have been in Texas for a few months now. I liked the warm weather in February and March but it's still warm and getting warmer as we head into summer. I knew that moving to a big city would be a severe change in my lifestyle, having grown up in rural Minnesota. It's even more traumatic than I expected. Just so many people. It's like every day is the week before Christmas at the mall back home, a place I always avoided during the holiday season because of the crowds of people.


I have been having the urge to move north again, though not back where I was. There are several members of my family with itchy feet but I tend to stick to the familiar. You get comfortable and the days slip away without notice until years have gone by before you lift your head and look around, then go back to what you were doing again. That's a good thing. As I shift restlessly and dream of different pastures, I realize what is important to me.

What makes us comfortable means it's where we belong. We can bring it with us. Or we can go in search of it. Whichever the case, it's important to find it and hang on to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words of the Past, Present, and Future

Thinking Outside the Box (Or Staying in the Box)

Shades of Right Excerpt