Updated Cover for Dark Thunder

Cover work is the gateway to a book, right? I will admit, I am often drawn to a cover that catches my eye but it isn't always the sole attraction. I enjoy the Wheel of Time series and those covers are hideous. Absolutely hideous. Rand is supposed to be tall and the cartoon character on the cover always looks so short and stocky. Not at all how I picture any of the characters.

But I digress. Cover work trends come and go, just like fashion. Covers can date a book. Covers can give a reader false hope that the slick cover promises a slick interior. Covers can trick a potential reader into thinking that a boring cover means a dull read when the interior can be mind altering.

It's a tricky thing, choosing the right cover. That's why cover work often changes. I've changed covers a few times in the hopes that an update will give a better impression. Constant improvement is the goal, though I do like the other covers along the way on the path to "the right cover", or I wouldn't have chosen them.

But sometimes a cover really sings to me. My newest cover for Dark Thunder really makes me happy, though the impression is of a darkness, not from lack of light, but of a deeper darkness. The streaks remind me of the blood that is spilled... well, you'll have to read the book and let me know if the cover conveys the right mood.



Dark Thunder is available on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words of the Past, Present, and Future

Shades of Right Excerpt

Thinking Outside the Box (Or Staying in the Box)